Sunday, March 15, 2009

Filler -- Mar. 15, 2009

Yes, I know...The last post was dated Feb. 20, almost a month ago! I hate that but I have been  very busy and also a bit lax in keeping up so this is just some fluff until I get my blogging feet under me again.

My alma mater, Ames High School, played one of the local high schools in the Marion area, Linn-Mar, last night for the Iowa 4A High School championship basketball title and it was a great game! I was excited that Ames got there in such grand fashion, 25-0 season, but I had to cheer for Linn-Mar because I know some of the players and their families.

Though Ames won, Linn-Mar gave them the closest fought game that Ames had had this year only losing to Ames by ten points and, a good half of those points were due to the fact that Linn-Mar had to foul to try and get the ball back. It was a great game!

In most of the other Games Ames has played they have been forced. out of courtesy to the other teams, to take out their all-star, Harrison Barnes, to keep the game within a merciful amount. You see Ames has beaten most of the teams they've played this year by an average of thirty points, thus, Barnes has only averaged eleven minutes of game time. The play of Linn-Mar forced Ames to keep him in the game the entire time and Linn-Mar was down their top scorer due to a "misjudgment" on his part that caused him to lose his spot on the team for the remaining games of the season. It could have been a different game. No doubt that Ames was tested. It was a great game and Ames looked really good! I understand why they are number one in the state. Wow!

One of elders at my church happened to see Harrison Barnes play against West Des Moines Valley a while back and reported back that he was not as impressive a player as everyone thought but I must respectfully disagree, I thought he was outstanding and every bit deserving the press he has received. Not only that, but rumor has it that he is an excellent student and leads a morning Bible study at the high school. This kid seems to be in good shape all around.

It was a really good game, and even though Linn-Mar lost, they played like champions and have no reason to hang their heads though I understand the disappointment. There is no room for shame though! They played a real titan of a basketball team and turned in a better performance than any other of the twenty-five schools that faced Ames previously. Great job guys! And congratulations on a fine, fine season, Ames! It makes me proud that I was once black and orange follower too!

Logan was sick ALL of last week with what we believe was Influenza B but on Saturday he was fully recovered and could not wait to get out of the house. It was good to see him back to full strength!

Alyssa competed at state for speech yesterday and, though I don't understand the whole process, she got all one's which means she did really well. Now she just waits until tomorrow to see if she makes All-State. She likes the idea of all one's but she says she would be content to keep the one's and not go to All-State. She has been so impressive in my mind and it appears the judges think a lot of her performance as well. We'll see...Stay tuned.

Bye!

No comments: