Saturday, April 17, 2010

Unexpected Understanding -- Apr. 17, 2010

Since starting my “diet” I’ve lost 23 pounds. I feel great and I have more energy than I ever had but since my hobbies and work are both sedentary activites sometimes I feel close to bursting. It is wonderful! (I need to get a bicycle!)


Each day for the past week, I’ve gone to bed around 11:00 and awakened before my alarm, refreshed and ready to go. My heart sings to the Lord even as the birds outside my window lift their voices in praise to their Creator for the day He has granted them. My mind, body, and emotions all seem to be on the same track.

This morning was just little different. I woke up early, feeling the blessed energy flowing in my viens and my mind was tracking the list I have to accomplish today but something was not quite right. I couldn’t quite put my finger on the problem. Then it struck me. My emotions seemed a bit...oppressed for some reason; melancholy is a better term. I was melancholy today. My body and mind were still raring to go but my emotions were lagging behind like a child not wanting to go into the doctor’s office and with a stubborn pout refuses to walk in the door behind mom. I’m thinking about “calling in sick” today and just being lazy...

For me melancholy is not unusual. I’ve gone through days and even weeks where this malady kept me pinned down but it has not happened since I started my diet so it's throwing off my groove this morning. It’s not all bad though. Melancholy often helps settle the craziness in my head (usually self-induced. See my previous blog) and helps me focus more. So I don’t despise these times but they do tend to draw away some of the energy I have, which leaves me a little drained.

Since I will be co-teaching the book of Ecclesiastes this fall I’ve started reading in preparation for the class. I think it is the one book in the Bible that nails down exactly how life is for us, to use a cliché: It's where the rubber meets the road. Don’t get me wrong, there is something for this life and beyond in all of the books of the Bible but Ecclesiastes for some reason feels more "down to earth", so to speak.

As you begin to read it you will see your life laid out before you, raw and unadltrated. No punches are pulled and it makes one squirm a bit because there seems to be a hint of materialism in the words. Materialism tells us that since we are all made of the stuff of the universe that not only are we no off better than animals but there is no real purpose in our lives.

Solomon appears to be taking us dangerously close to this edge of meaninglessness. But, in reality, what he is telling us is that our deeds, in and of themselves, without God, are meaningless because once we die, whatever we obtained in this life will be gone along with the hopes and dreams we held in our hearts.

Solomon spent his life devoted to determining what it is that is good for us to do all the days of our lives. What he discovered is that there is nothing better than for us work hard and play hard. There are times in all of our lives that cause us pain and sorrow but we also have times when there is happiness. God wants us to do our best in all the things we do.

I’ve discovered in my own life that when I work heard, really put my heart into what I’m doing, the reward is a deep sense of satisfaction, a feel of contentment. When I slack off and cut corners because I do not want to be doing whatever it is I am doing, I feel a sense of guilt and loss. Oddly enough, for me when I do my tasks with all my heart my play time is much more satisfying as well. Maybe this is because if I’m being lazy and then try to have fun I feel guilty as though I haven’t done anything to deserve the fun. It has started to become circular logic for me—Work hard and gain satisfaction. Work hard and play time is more satisfying. Work hard and be satisfied. Work hard and play time becomes so much better. This makes me want to work harder not only so that play time is more enjoyable but because the sense of satisfaction is rather euphoric. So by working to my utmost abilities, I actually enhance my life! What a concept!

God has ordained that we work and play hard. The satisfaction we get from doing our best makes the things we do worthwhile. Not only this but God desires the best from us and when we do our best we also honor God and that is true satisfaction.

I think God has made me to live in melancholy once in a while to help ground me in reality and I do not despise it and at times, I even embrace it. Melancholy was my friend today. God used it to help me to see some truths that had been eluding me or that, perhaps, I chose to ignore.

We have a choice and a chance each and every day. 1) Rejoice just because God has given you another day. 2) Whatever tasks are before you today engage them with your whole heart. You will please God and you will find that the satisfaction of doing your best makes the whole thing worth your while. 3) Take time to play, to enjoy the lighter side of life, but put your whole heart into that as well, don’t be afraid, God has ordained both, just give your all.

Good bye for now, Melancholy. I know you better now than I did in before. I don’t always welcome you but I do recognize your purpose in my life.

I'm afraidn that I won't be "calling in sick" today. My God deserves to be glorified! Look out day, here I come in all of God's power! HA! HA! HA!

May I please you in all that I do and say and think today, my Father...

No comments: