Monday, July 23, 2007

What’s in a Name? – July 23, 2007

I started getting some names to pop into my new story. I have officially titled the book "Guardians of Light" at least right now. Writing is a dynamic process and things can change…Stay tuned.

This has been a struggle for me because usually I have names that I try to throw into a plot pot. This time I have a plot but the characters aren't showing up. I have had to go out and conscript them to the story. I am feeling like the names may change but for now I am OK with them.

In an attempt to overcome the procrastination monster I worked on my story all weekend. (Please don't get the idea I worked on it all day all weekend but, I consider that I worked on it if I open my notebook and jot down a line or two! Hey, at least I'm writing!) Anyway I did spend an hour or two each of the past three days working on the book and, when I wanted to give up because junk was coming out of my pen instead of cleverly phrased sentences rife with breath taking details and descriptions, I sat back down and wrote some more junk. It felt kinda good…

Well, not only did I get some character names but I was able to produce some country names and add more detail to my map. (I love maps! A good book is not so good unless it comes complete with a map!)

I also wrote out four pages of the prologue. I felt pretty good although it was a rough draft. THANK the LORD it was only a first draft! It is full of junk and garbage, but as they say, "One man's junk is another man's treasure". Maybe this will prove to be the case here as well.

 

Bye for now!

No comments: