Friday, August 29, 2008

What You Are? -- August 29, 2008

As I grow older I have discovered that I have changed. No, not just the extra weight and the gray hair (I actually like to think I'm going back to the blond I was when I first entered this world) but in a number of areas.

I used to accept anything that anyone told me as "gospel"; I had a very narrow view of life; and work was something you had to do to get the money you needed to pay the bills you had to have in order to have the things that made for life...in other words work was a necessary evil.

For a number of years I have been putting a lot of thought into what kind of job I would like to do and how could I find this mythical "Nirvana". I have discussed this with a number of close friends and I have spent a good amount of time in prayer, seeking God's council.

One tool I have been using is quite interesting.

To start I have to bring to the foreground, once and again, Kim and my friends from the little hamlet of Heston, KS., Greg and Kelly. These two people have become a sounding board for my inner man. They fired my heart to write, they challenge my walk with the Lord, and they introduce me to the most wonderful books!

One such book is "Do What You Are", a book written by Paul Tieger and Barbara Barron.

This book expands the age old receipt for finding that elusive "perfect" career form just what are you good at and what do you want to do? to include your personality type or type.

How you are wired can also affect what career would be best for you. Are you a person who loves excitement and thrills? You probably would not be happy being a number crunching accountant. Are you shy and retiring? Perhaps the accounting job would be quite appealing to you.

To determine this they help you to take the Briggs Meyer personality test. The amazing thing about this process, if you are honest in answering the questions, is that it is remarkably accurate! It pegged me, if not 100%, 90% for sure. It's sort of freeing when you stop for a moment and take a look at yourself, who you are as a person.

We can mold ourselves into being who we have to be for the sake of our careers and that can have an impact on how you answer the questions, but if you follow the authors' advice you can get remarkably close to who you are personality-wise.

The authors brilliantly but gently guide you through the process of finding your personality type. They are most accurate! I was surprised.

This is as far as I have come so far. I will update you with more later.

Oh, in case your wondering about my personality type: I am an INFJ...

:-)

Sail on with the Lord fighting the good fight as you travel the path He has placed you on.

No comments: