Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Anniversaries—April 24, 2007

In about 3 plus more years I will be married to my beautiful wife for 20 years! It does not seem like it has been that long!

At their fiftieth wedding anniversary my wife's grandmother stated that, "We've been married FOREVER…It just seems longer!" What a hoot! I still get a chuckle out of that comment!

Well, yesterday marked a five year anniversary, one that is not so fun, the passing of Grady Paul Larson.

He was five years old when the Lord took him and I have to admit I am envious of him! He is living THE life right now with no more tears or pain! I am so grateful to Jesus for what He has done for us and though I miss Grady so much, I am so very glad he is in Heaven with Jesus right now and forevermore!

I take the day (April 23rd) off to be with my wife so she does not have to spend the time alone but the day does not affect me as much. In fact, as I go through the year there are days that his memories blow into my mind so strongly that tears flow but there is usually no rhyme or reason for the memories.

As I watch my other two children grow I often wonder what Grady would have been like now, had he survived. He would have been ten years old and…I just can't seem to imagine how he would be because as I see my other children grow they have changed from how I would have pictured them at this age when they were younger and all I can see in my mind's eye is how Grady was at five years old. This is one thing that makes me sad because I would love to see him right now.

The loss of a loved one is never easy, whether it is a parent or a child, and it is by the grace of God alone, that Grady keeps touching lives.

A kind man and friend started a softball tournament the year before Grady died and the money he raised was used to fund our Make-A-Wish trip to Disney World in Florida. It was a great family time! Since then the tournament has had a name change and is called The "Grady Paul Larson Softball Tournament". We hold this event every year and we even have a website. If you are interested in seeing Grady's picture and to learn more about this legacy of his go to www.gplfoundation.org. Not only do we raise funds for the Make-A-Wish group but we have been using this tournament to reach out and share the good news of Jesus Christ with others through special guest speakers. Last year we were blessed to have Major League Baseball pitching great, Cal Eldred speak and he shared a wonderful testimony of how God has changed his life and used him to further the kingdom of God.

 

Good bye for now!

 

No comments: