Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Update on Things in My World Since the Flood --June 18, 2008

It's hard to believe that one week ago we were sandbagging around our building. In hindsight it was an exercise in futility but it had to be done.

We are in a new location on First Avenue for the time being but it is expected we will be back downtown at some point in the future but that could be months from now.  The new location is really close to my house (no more than four miles round trip) and it's actually cheaper for me to drive than to take the bus but I will get back to the bus once we are back downtown.

I have heard rumors that some of the buildings downtown suffered structural damage to the foundation and may need to be taken down but I do not have any first hand knowledge.  If it were to be discovered that our building were damaged that would probably end our bid to get back in.

It's hard to fathom but I think I am suffering from some grief through this as well. As noted earlier we were not directly affected by the flood as a family but knowing that there are friends that have lost a great deal causes feelings of guilt for having come through unscathed. I have been reminded, however, that God is in control and we need to be praying for and helping those who have been devastated by these flood waters as we are able to but I also need to be thankful to God for what He has done to keep my family safe.

I have found that when I get under too much stress my mind shuts down so the only writing I have been doing is this blog and my personal journal but I have been writing and to me that is a wonderful thing.

Please be in prayer for those who have lost so much to the flood and though there has only been one reported death, the loss of property and the emotional devastation is real and it is heavy. Pray people will see their need for God during this time where they may have nothing left but God and that they may see this is what they needed all along.

Maybe God will use this to take away something that someone has been holding onto to the ruin of their spiritual walk. This may sound cruel but when compared to eternity the loss of things in this life is insignificant. I certainly am not belittling anyone's pain due to loss but I am trying to show that this life is short and we need to be tending our spirit because it will last forever and the things of this life will not.

May God's grace and mercy shine on all of us but especially on those how are suffering right now.

Good Bye!

No comments: