Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Organization Failure -- Dec. 10, 2008

I am a person who likes to be organized. I should say, probably more accurately, I like the concept of organization. People who are organized, like my Father-In-Law, can find anything at a moments notice and never have to worry if the socks he just pulled from his drawer match. To be fair, I am organized too. In fact, if you asked me for any important document that I should have in my possession I'm sure I could find it in one of my many piles of documents. (Sometimes I'm really organized and I shove those piles of papers into a file drawer!)

Being the organized person that I am, I sometimes find I need help. Let me give you a recent example: I was driving home yesterday from work and knew I had to stop and get some air in one of my tires. As I pulled into the gas station I noted, with a touch of pride, that one of Marion's Finest was monitoring the intersection of Grand and 11th to catch those who might not be cognizant of their current speed or the color of the traffic lights. Very cool! I am a law abiding citizen so I knew I had nothing to be concerned with.

As I finished filling the tires I carefully backed out of the parking stall and with all the expertise of my 25 years of driving pulled out of the station and up to the light. I noted that as I did this the police officer followed me out of the lot.

As the light turned green I once again employed my best driving skills and headed the two blocks to home, again crowing to myself about my wonderful driving talent. Just then the officer's lights came on. He probably wants to let me know what a model of driving I have shown to the community at large! Anyway, I pulled over.

He then proceeded to inform me that my registration was out of date by more than a month and that I needed to get it corrected as soon as possible. I thanked him as he handed me back my proof of insurance and a beautiful citation as a reminder. It is so good when someone is willing to come along side you and  help you in areas you where you have a weakness, in this case my organizational skills are somewhat lacking and this officer was kind enough to help me to get on track.

In looking back on this incident, I have a lesson I would like to share with you. There are cheaper ways to get organized than the $90 fee I was charged that has now helped me to make sure my bills are not tucked away for safe keeping. Out of sight is for sure out of mind!

Happy driving, from the Driving Master of Marion!

Bye!

No comments: