Monday, September 15, 2008

First Week Back -- Sept. 15, 2008

It has been just over two months since The Flood of 2008 chased us from home and work. Gazing out the window this morning I remembered taking a break during our evacuation back in June. The water swirled and then roared down the same streets my cohorts and I two days before had been walking on during a break at lunch time. Quite surreal.

Of course the downtown has not fully recovered and may not for many years but there are some real signs of life. Restaurants are opening, businesses are coming back on line and people are starting to filter back to their abandoned offices. I don't know the numbers but there are sure signs of new life in downtown Cedar Rapids.

We walked by the library the other day I took a moment to peek into the window. The appearance is that they are ready to put it back together but the rumor is that is will be another two to three years before it's operational again. It's a sad thing to think about being a library fan. It was a wonderful place to steal away to when things got to stressful in the ol' cube here in the office. Oh well, Lord willing it will be back eventually.

Since the new Cedar Rapids government took over a couple years ago the library seems to have taken the brunt of their fiscal cuts. The joke in my circle of friends it that whenever there's a leak in the skywalks they have to cut the library budget to be able to afford to fix it. What I can't understand is how all of a sudden CR has fiscal problems when all the years before they did not seem to have any issues wit money? Hmmm...Oh well, I live in Marion so just curious.

Well, that's it for now. I did not get any more articles written this weekend but I do have at least two more ideas but they really don't fit into any of the known helium categories that I have been able to find yet but I won't give up that easily!

Good by for now.

Walk humbly with God and trust Him even when things look bleak. He won't leave or forsake you even in the tough times.

Bye!

No comments: